UVALDE, Texas (AP) — Police say a 12-year-old boy has been charged with capital murder in the fatal shooting of a boxer at the victim’s South Texas home.
Uvalde police said Thursday that the boy is charged in the slaying of John Duane VanMeter and is being held at a juvenile detention center.
VanMeter’s girlfriend called 911 Wednesday evening saying someone had broken into their home, and police found the man with a gunshot wound to the head.
Police Chief Daniel Rodriquez says police are trying to determine a motive.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- WA rancher behind $244M 'ghost cattle' fraud sentenced to prison
- Former cop attacks Thai day care center, kills at least 36
- VP was in car accident; Secret Service first called it 'mechanical failure'
- Rare drone footage shows orcas mauling great white sharks
- In retreat at the front, Russia strikes deep into Ukraine
VanMeter’s trainer, David Hernandez, who runs Tree City Boxing Club in Uvalde, described VanMeter as a man with a “heart of gold and an amazing spirit.” He was known as “The California Kid.”
The Uvalde school district said the juvenile was a student there.