WASHINGTON (AP) — Former reality TV star Donald Trump tweeted Tuesday that the problem with the Oscars is “we don’t have Stars anymore” — except for him. Just kidding, the president hastened to add.
Viewership of Sunday’s Academy Awards broadcast plunged to a record-low viewership of 26.5 million people.
According to the Nielsen company, that’s a 20 percent drop from the 33 million people who watched last year’s show.
Trump tweeted Tuesday: “Lowest rated Oscars in HISTORY. Problem is, we don’t have Stars anymore – except your President (just kidding, of course)!”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In reversal, Trump orders halt to his family separation rule WATCH
- More outbreaks of foodborne illnesses: Here’s what you need to know
- Trump to propose reorganizing the government, targeting safety net programs
- Iran lists demands for improving relations with US
- Maddow breaks down reading AP story on 'tender age' shelters
Sunday’s broadcast included a few barbs that host Jimmy Kimmel directed at the White House.