WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump interrupted a telephone conversation with Ireland’s prime minister to compliment an Irish journalist on her “nice smile.”
Caitriona Perry is a Washington correspondent and U.S. bureau chief for RTE News-Ireland. She was in the Oval Office with other journalists to document the Tuesday call.
Trump was congratulating Leo Varadkar on becoming prime minister, and mentioned that Irish reporters were among those listening.
Trump then pointed to Perry, called her over to his desk and asked where she was from.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
Perry identified herself, and then Trump told Varadkar: “She has a nice smile on her face so I bet she treats you well.”
Video of the encounter is making the rounds on social media.
Perry also tweeted the video. She described the encounter as a “bizarre moment.”