WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump says America is safe because the U.S. Coast Guard is “strong.”
Trump calls the Coast Guard the “elite force” that defends borders, patrols the waters, protects U.S. cities and keeps enemies at bay.
He spoke Friday while presiding over a Coast Guard change-of-command ceremony in Washington.
Adm. Karl Schultz became the 26th Coast Guard commandant, succeeding Adm. Paul Zukunft.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Coalition of states sues Trump over national-emergency declaration to build border wall
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
Trump thanked Zukunft for a “lifetime of noble service” and expressed “complete confidence” that Schultz will carry out his new responsibilities with “character, strength and devotion.”
Trump recalled watching the Coast Guard last year after powerful hurricanes struck Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico. Trump says no brand has gained more than the Coast Guard and that the public has “tremendous respect” for it.