WASHINGTON (AP) — Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says Americans “must own” the problem of narcotics addiction if it wants to end the scourge of drug trafficking and cross-border violence.
Tillerson spoke Thursday after talks on combatting transnational crime with senior Mexican officials. He says U.S. demand for opioids and other drugs is a prime driver of not only devastating overdose death tolls in the United States, but of raging gang violence in Mexico.
He says: “We Americans must own this problem.”
Tillerson says that in addition to addressing the domestic addiction epidemic, the Trump administration will work with Mexico to disrupt drug traffickers by hitting production sites, transportation networks and their cash flow.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Las Vegas maid stole $768,000 in jewelry from hotel room, police say
- Biden trips and falls on stage at Air Force graduation; White House says he's 'fine'
- Hunter Biden’s lawyers cite landmark gun ruling in bid to stave off charges
- Family's Alaska fishing trip becomes nightmare with 3 dead and search over for 2 more