WASHINGTON (AP) — Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says Americans “must own” the problem of narcotics addiction if it wants to end the scourge of drug trafficking and cross-border violence.
Tillerson spoke Thursday after talks on combatting transnational crime with senior Mexican officials. He says U.S. demand for opioids and other drugs is a prime driver of not only devastating overdose death tolls in the United States, but of raging gang violence in Mexico.
He says: “We Americans must own this problem.”
Tillerson says that in addition to addressing the domestic addiction epidemic, the Trump administration will work with Mexico to disrupt drug traffickers by hitting production sites, transportation networks and their cash flow.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Aide: Trump dismissed Jan. 6 threats, wanted to join crowd
- Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years for helping Epstein
- Ocasio-Cortez wants 2 justices impeached for ‘lying under oath’
- Trump tried to strangle Secret Service agent in attempt to reach Capitol on Jan. 6, aide testifies
- The story behind AP report that caused Trump to throw lunch