WASHINGTON (AP) — Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is urging Qatar’s neighbors to lift a land blockade as a “sign of good faith” in negotiations to resolve the Persian Gulf diplomatic crisis.
Tillerson says that of all the steps that Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain have taken to isolate Qatar, the land blockade is having the most negative effects on Qataris.
Qatar’s only land border is with Saudi Arabia. It’s unclear what Tillerson is urging the other countries to do. But the three others have joined Saudi Arabia in restricting Qatar’s access to air and sea routes.
Tillerson says the U.S. is satisfied with the effort Qatar is putting into addressing concerns about terror financing and counterterrorism.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion
- Supreme Court expands gun rights, with nation divided
- Government to cancel $6 billion in student loans for defrauded borrowers
- WA, other West Coast states form pact committing to protect abortion access
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Tillerson spoke while meeting with the visiting foreign minister of Oman.