MADISON, Wis. (AP) — U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan says he told his former colleague and longtime friend Peter Barca that would be difficult for him to enter the Democratic primary for Congress this close to the primary.
Barca is considering running in southeast Wisconsin’s 1st Congressional District currently represented by House Speaker Paul Ryan. Two other Democrats, Randy Bryce and Cathy Myers, are already running.
But Barca represented the district in the 1990s and started thinking about running again after Ryan announced he would not seek re-election.
Barca said Monday he hopes to make a decision “as soon as I possibly can.” He says he intends to meet with both Bryce and Myers.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump says he'll give State of Union after shutdown ends VIEW
- AP Exclusive: Adoptee deported by US sues S. Korea, agency
- The man who stood behind Trump VIEW
- How anonymous tweets helped ignite a national controversy over MAGA hat teens
- Nathan Phillips, Native American in standoff with teens, faces scrutiny of his military past
Barca and Pocan both say they talked about how hard it would be for Barca to get into the race with the Aug. 14 primary just three and a half months away.
Pocan has endorsed Bryce in the race.