MADISON, Wis. (AP) — U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan says he told his former colleague and longtime friend Peter Barca that would be difficult for him to enter the Democratic primary for Congress this close to the primary.
Barca is considering running in southeast Wisconsin’s 1st Congressional District currently represented by House Speaker Paul Ryan. Two other Democrats, Randy Bryce and Cathy Myers, are already running.
But Barca represented the district in the 1990s and started thinking about running again after Ryan announced he would not seek re-election.
Barca said Monday he hopes to make a decision “as soon as I possibly can.” He says he intends to meet with both Bryce and Myers.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Jamie Oliver's UK restaurant chain collapses into insolvency
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- Ex-partner of deceased skater Coughlin says she was abused
- Should Donald Trump be impeached? Americans organize to read Mueller report, reach their own conclusions
Barca and Pocan both say they talked about how hard it would be for Barca to get into the race with the Aug. 14 primary just three and a half months away.
Pocan has endorsed Bryce in the race.