MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Texas Sen. Ted Cruz has endorsed Kevin Nicholson in Wisconsin’s Republican U.S. Senate primary.
Nicholson is running against state Sen. Leah Vukmir in the Republican primary. The winner will face Democratic Sen. Tammy Baldwin in November.
Cruz’s endorsement Wednesday comes as Nicholson tries to introduce himself to Republican voters who have known Vukmir for years. She was first elected to the Legislature in 2003 and has announced more than 100 endorsements of prominent Republicans across the state, including state and local elected officials, activists and others.
Nicholson has attracted some big name out-of-state backers, most prominently former White House strategist Steve Bannon.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 42 VIEW
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news
- Death toll rises in California wildfire, matching deadliest VIEW
Cruz won Wisconsin’s presidential primary in 2016. Cruz says he’s backing Nicholson because of his “impressive record of success and leadership” as a former Marine and now as a business consultant.