MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Texas Sen. Ted Cruz has endorsed Kevin Nicholson in Wisconsin’s Republican U.S. Senate primary.
Nicholson is running against state Sen. Leah Vukmir in the Republican primary. The winner will face Democratic Sen. Tammy Baldwin in November.
Cruz’s endorsement Wednesday comes as Nicholson tries to introduce himself to Republican voters who have known Vukmir for years. She was first elected to the Legislature in 2003 and has announced more than 100 endorsements of prominent Republicans across the state, including state and local elected officials, activists and others.
Nicholson has attracted some big name out-of-state backers, most prominently former White House strategist Steve Bannon.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Claims of shoddy production draw scrutiny to a second Boeing jet
- Democrats subpoena Mueller report amid calls for impeachment
- Sanders goes on offensive defending credibility after report
- A portrait of the White House and its culture of chaos, dishonesty VIEW
- Man angry about virginity pleads guilty to threatening women
Cruz won Wisconsin’s presidential primary in 2016. Cruz says he’s backing Nicholson because of his “impressive record of success and leadership” as a former Marine and now as a business consultant.