WASHINGTON (AP) — Michelle Obama plans to promote her year-old global girls’ education initiative during a late June trip to Liberia, Morocco and Spain.
The White House says the three-country trip is booked for June 27 through July 1. The first lady will travel with daughters Malia and Sasha, and her mother, Marian Robinson.
Actresses Freida Pinto and Meryl Streep are providing the celebrity quotient on the Africa stops.
Mrs. Obama is scheduled to meet in Liberia with girls and young women at a Peace Corps training facility in Kakata and at a school in Unification Town.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom, starting with abortion and sodomy
- After a Black man is killed by police, a city cancels its July 4 celebration
- One woman dominated a local fair's food contest. The internet went looking for her
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- UN extends arms embargo on armed groups in volatile Congo
In Morocco, she plans to participate in a conversation with adolescent girls in Marrakech moderated by CNN.
In Spain, Mrs. Obama plans a speech in Madrid about her education initiative. She’ll also meet with Queen Letizia.