WASHINGTON (AP) — The top Democrat on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee has undergone a heart procedure and will remain hospitalized for a few days.
That’s the word from Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland. He says in a statement that he had what he calls a “minimally invasive medical procedure” on Wednesday at Johns Hopkins Hospital to treat aortic stenosis.
The statement says the procedure is called Trans Arterial Aortic Valve Replacement and is used to correct a narrowing of the aortic valve.
The lawmaker is expected to remain in the hospital a few days.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Jan. 6 panel calls surprise hearing to present new evidence
- GOP lawmaker calls Roe ruling 'victory for white life' as Trump rally cheers
- To catch a snake: Largest python found in Everglades signals a threat
- Kavanaugh gave private assurances. Collins says he ‘misled’ her
- 'Mitt Romney Republican' is now a potent GOP primary attack