President Donald Trump is congratulating Prime Minister Viktor Orban of Hungary on his recent re-election
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is congratulating Prime Minister Viktor Orban of Hungary on his recent re-election.
The White House says Trump spoke Saturday with the Hungarian leader known for his hardline views on immigration and criticism of investor and political activist George Soros.
The White House says that, during their conversation, Trump and Orban discussed the need for strong national borders and discussed Trump’s recent summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
Trump has developed a pattern of openly praising and embracing authoritarian leaders in a break from past presidents.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Trump is rushing to hire seasoned lawyers. But he keeps hearing 'No.'
- Pence tells GOP to stop lashing out at FBI over Trump search
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- The coming California megastorm
He’s lauded Kim as a smart and talented man, called Russia’s Vladimir Putin a strong leader, and marveled recently that China’s Xi Jinping is “essentially president for life,” saying: “That’s pretty good.”