NEW YORK (AP) — Officials have added 18 names to a memorial wall for New York Police Department officers who died in the line of duty.
The mayor and police commissioner oversaw the annual dedication ceremony Tuesday in Battery Park, in lower Manhattan.
Many of the officers whose names were inscribed died from illness related to their search and recovery efforts after the terror attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.
One detective honored died in 2003. Twelve of the officers honored died last year.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Couple finds their luggage is overweight because of stowaway dog
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Could this new version of an old grain help fight climate change and feed the world?
- Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both knockouts, but one seems to have the edge
- When a fisherman pulled in his line, he knew he had 'something weird': A 40-pound alligator gar
Among the names unveiled were those of Detective Rafael Ramos and Detective WenJian Liu (WEHN’-jihn loo). They were shot and killed inside their patrol car in December by a man who later killed himself.