FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — A federal judge says a Florida man who robbed a bank, stripped naked and ran down the street throwing stolen money is severely mentally ill and can’t be held responsible for the crime.
Chief U.S. District Judge K. Michael Moore found 26-year-old Alexander Sperber not guilty by reason of insanity following a 25-minute trial on Wednesday. Sperber will remain in jail while receiving mental health treatment.
Prosecutors said a dye pack exploded as Sperber ran from a Regions Bank branch in Fort Lauderdale in July. Covered in red dye, he shed his clothes and tossed money into the air.
The SunSentinel reports that Sperber told investigators a chip in head compelled him to rob the bank, so that he could pursue his career as a comedian.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 42 VIEW
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news
- Stan Lee, creator of a galaxy of Marvel superheroes, dies VIEW
Information from: Sun Sentinel , http://www.sun-sentinel.com/