FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — A federal judge says a Florida man who robbed a bank, stripped naked and ran down the street throwing stolen money is severely mentally ill and can’t be held responsible for the crime.
Chief U.S. District Judge K. Michael Moore found 26-year-old Alexander Sperber not guilty by reason of insanity following a 25-minute trial on Wednesday. Sperber will remain in jail while receiving mental health treatment.
Prosecutors said a dye pack exploded as Sperber ran from a Regions Bank branch in Fort Lauderdale in July. Covered in red dye, he shed his clothes and tossed money into the air.
The SunSentinel reports that Sperber told investigators a chip in head compelled him to rob the bank, so that he could pursue his career as a comedian.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
Information from: Sun Sentinel , http://www.sun-sentinel.com/