For nearly eight weeks, investigators in Massachusetts have been struggling to solve a mystery: the identity of a little girl whose remains were found on a Boston Harbor shoreline.

Share story

For nearly eight weeks, investigators in Massachusetts have been struggling to solve a mystery: the identity of a little girl whose remains were found on a Boston Harbor shoreline.

The case started on June 25, when a woman was walking with her dog about 1 p.m. on Deer Island. The animal bounded away from her on the rocky shoreline to sniff a black trash bag. The woman peered into the bag and, with a quick glimpse, realized it contained a body. She alerted a bystander, who called police.

The medical examiner found that the girl was about 4 years old, with brown eyes and brown hair that was about 14 inches long.

Her height was just over 3 feet, and she weighed about 30 pounds. She had pierced ears. She was wearing white leggings with black polka dots. Also in the bag was a zebra-print blanket that investigators believe may have been special to her.

There was moisture in the bag, but it is not clear whether she was dropped on the beach and the tide washed over her, or whether she was thrown into the water and then washed up on the beach. She had not been dead long; decomposition was described as very mild.

The cause of her death has not been determined: There was no physical trauma, and toxicology tests showed no poisons or pathogens.

Unidentified, the child came to be known publicly as Baby Doe. Investigators call her “our girl.”

With the investigation now entering its eighth week, little more has become known about the child, and investigators said that it was unusual for this amount of time to pass with so few clues about who she was and how she died.

“She was walking, breathing, talking within a community very shortly before she was found,” said Carol Schweitzer, a senior forensic case specialist with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. “The fact that she is still unidentified is unique. We don’t have many cases like this in a year.”

From 2000 through 2015, there were 123 cases of unidentified children that were resolved, according to a study by the center. Thirty-eight percent of them were never reported missing to police. Sometimes, if a caretaker is responsible for the disappearance and creates a believable story, no one in the community will raise the alarm right away.

“It just takes time for that story to unravel,” Schweitzer said.

The Baby Doe case also highlights how the identification of children’s remains poses specific challenges. Few children of that age have had extensive dental work or even X-rays, and children are rarely fingerprinted.

A DNA match would depend on whether a close relative of the child has a sample in a national database, such happens after a felony crime in Massachusetts, for example, or one is taken from a person who reports their child missing.

In Baby Doe’s case, “We don’t even know if they are alive. That’s the scary part,” said J. Todd Matthews, a director at the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System. “What we are looking for is somebody like a neighborhood grocer; is there a little girl you saw that hasn’t come back?”

In a bid to get the word out, the Baby Doe case has been shared on social media. By Friday, more than 55 million unique views of a state police Facebook post on July 2 about the case had been detected, David Procopio, the spokesman for Massachusetts State Police, said. Eight other posts drew in more than 2.8 million views.

Hundreds of tips have come in each week by text, social media and telephone. Ninety-five billboards throughout the state display a computer-generated composite image of how the girl might have looked.

At this point in the investigation, the avenues that could yield more information are starting to narrow. There are fewer tips now than at first, when the case brought in thousands in a week, Procopio said.

Investigators are awaiting results from at least two more tests, including on samples of tissue that are undergoing vigorous DNA scrutiny in which the nuclei of cells are examined for possible information on a close adult relative.

“That would be a new avenue for us,” Procopio said. “That would be huge, really.”

Hair samples are also being examined for clues to the water she drank, which would tie her to a region of the country. The latest development was the result of tests on pollen in the bag, which suggested last week that she was either from the Boston area or spent a fair amount of time there, Procopio said.

“That’s helpful to an extent,” said Jake Wark, a spokesman for the Suffolk County district attorney. “Science can tell us where she was from, but it will take a person who knew her to tell us who she was.”

Further adding to the mystery is that the child appeared to have been well-cared for. She was not underweight, her teeth were in good shape and she did not have broken bones. She was either Caucasian or Hispanic.

“You wonder what her last hours were like,” Procopio said. “Was she in fear or aware something bad was happening?”