BANGKOK (AP) — Rockets were fired at two Myanmar government air bases on Thursday, causing minor damage and no injuries, the military junta said.

The attacks are the latest sign that as the junta attempts to control widespread protests in cities against its February seizure of power, it is facing new military challenges in other areas.

No group claimed responsibility for the attacks on the bases in Magway and Meiktila in central Myanmar, and the government said it is seeking those responsible.

Capt. Aye Thazin Myint, a junta spokeswoman, said at a news conference in the capital, Naypyitaw, that four 107mm rockets were fired at the air force base in Magway at 3 a.m. Thursday, with three landing in a field and one on a road. She said one building was slightly damaged in the attack, which the military determined originated from two nearby villages.

She said five rockets were fired between 5 a.m. and 9 a.m. at the air base in Meiktila, where gunfire was also heard from nearby villages.

The rockets are commonly used by insurgent groups because they are are cheap and easily deployed, although they are not particularly accurate.


The junta, which ousted the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi in its Feb. 1 coup, is engaged in open warfare with guerrillas from the Kachin and Karen minorities which have allied themselves with the protest movement against military rule.

The Kachin, in northern Myanmar, and the Karen in the east have battled the central government for decades for greater autonomy, through periods of armed conflict and unsteady cease-fires. Both areas have experienced increased fighting in recent months and have been targeted by air strikes and ground attacks by government forces. The Karen on Tuesday captured a government base on the border with Thailand.

The military government has also stepped up its campaign against its opponents in cities, issuing arrest warrants for hundreds of activists including actors, internet influencers and doctors. Journalists have also been targeted.

Street protests are continuing but on a much smaller scale since the security forces stepped up their use of lethal force. More than 700 protesters and bystanders have been killed, according to several detailed tallies. The junta puts the figure at roughly one-third of that and says it used force appropriately to curb rioting.

The U.N. Security Council scheduled closed consultations Friday on Myanmar to discuss last weekend’s meeting of southeast Asian leaders in Jakarta.

Vietnam’s U.N. Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy, the current council president whose country is part of the 10-nation Association of Southeast Asian Nations, said U.N. special envoy to Myanmar Christine Schraner Burgener would brief the council.


ASEAN issued a “five-point consensus” on Myanmar’s crisis after the meeting. It called for the immediate cessation of violence, a dialogue among all concerned parties to be mediated by an ASEAN special envoy who would also visit the country and meet all concerned parties, and provision of humanitarian aid through ASEAN channels

Schraner Burgener, who was in Jakarta over the weekend and remains in the region, met with junta leader Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing and several of ASEAN’s foreign ministers. She has repeatedly requested to visit Myanmar but the military has said the time is not appropriate.

The state-run Global New Light of Myanmar newspaper reported Thursday that an accused protest leader, Wai Moe Naing, was formally charged with offenses including murder and treason for allegedly heading a well-organized local network of resisters to military rule.

The detailed report, which could not be corroborated, suggests that even in a remote city, the movement against the junta was able to set up a sophisticated operation from scratch in just a few months with the ability to raise funds and link with allies. The report named dozens of alleged conspirators and displayed a chart illustrating their supposed connections.

Wai Moe Naing was arrested in the central city of Monywa on April 15 as he was taking part in a vehicle protest against the military’s takeover. He was captured when a car knocked down the motorbike on which he was riding.

He has not been seen publicly since his arrest, though the government released what it said was a photo of him, appearing bruised. Other photos of arrested protesters have shown them looking battered, leading to concern that they have been tortured.

Twenty-three suspects linked to Wai Moe Naing are being sought, the report said.