BALTIMORE (AP) — The organizers of a convention dedicated to “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic” say next year will be their last, citing declining fandom activity among “bronies.”
The Baltimore Sun reports BronyCon 2019 at the Baltimore Convention Center will be the longest yet, from Aug. 1-4 next year.
Chairs Sheva Goldberg and Eliana Summers said Sunday that they plan to go out with a bang rather than let the “fire dwindle into embers.”
BronyCon was born in New York in 2011 to celebrate the animated series, which has attracted a following outside its target demographic of young girls. The convention peaked at 10,000 attendees. Fans call themselves “bronies,” a portmanteau of “bro” and “pony,” in a nod to the fandom’s prominence of adult men.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- This major discovery upends long-held theories about the Maya civilization
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next
- Washington tops all states in anti-corruption ranking
Information from: The Baltimore Sun, http://www.baltimoresun.com