BALTIMORE (AP) — The organizers of a convention dedicated to “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic” say next year will be their last, citing declining fandom activity among “bronies.”
The Baltimore Sun reports BronyCon 2019 at the Baltimore Convention Center will be the longest yet, from Aug. 1-4 next year.
Chairs Sheva Goldberg and Eliana Summers said Sunday that they plan to go out with a bang rather than let the “fire dwindle into embers.”
BronyCon was born in New York in 2011 to celebrate the animated series, which has attracted a following outside its target demographic of young girls. The convention peaked at 10,000 attendees. Fans call themselves “bronies,” a portmanteau of “bro” and “pony,” in a nod to the fandom’s prominence of adult men.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Coalition of states sues Trump over national-emergency declaration to build border wall
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
Information from: The Baltimore Sun, http://www.baltimoresun.com