BALTIMORE (AP) — The organizers of a convention dedicated to “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic” say next year will be their last, citing declining fandom activity among “bronies.”
The Baltimore Sun reports BronyCon 2019 at the Baltimore Convention Center will be the longest yet, from Aug. 1-4 next year.
Chairs Sheva Goldberg and Eliana Summers said Sunday that they plan to go out with a bang rather than let the “fire dwindle into embers.”
BronyCon was born in New York in 2011 to celebrate the animated series, which has attracted a following outside its target demographic of young girls. The convention peaked at 10,000 attendees. Fans call themselves “bronies,” a portmanteau of “bro” and “pony,” in a nod to the fandom’s prominence of adult men.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Can 'Jeopardy!' whiz James Holzhauer be beat? The science of memory and recall, explained
- Trump plans to release thousands of migrants in two Democratic strongholds, Florida officials say
- Trump's sanctions on Iran are hitting Hezbollah hard
- Ammo from crashed F-16 safely destroyed
Information from: The Baltimore Sun, http://www.baltimoresun.com