MAYS LANDING, N.J. (AP) — Body-camera video of a standoff between police and the physician husband of a radio host slain in New Jersey shows the man yelling, “I’m not going to jail for this!”
The video was played Monday before a judge ruled James Kauffman was a flight risk and will remain in custody until his trial on weapons charges unrelated to his wife’s death.
Kauffman’s attorney vowed to appeal the ruling. He noted that Kauffman has been under an “investigative microscope” for the last five years after April Kauffman’s death and hasn’t fled.
Kauffman was arrested this month at his Egg Harbor Township office. Authorities say he brandished a handgun as agents executed search warrants at his office and home, but a hostage negotiator persuaded him to surrender.
Most Read Stories
- I-5’s Uncle Sam: 50 years and still ticked off near Chehalis
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Check out this new drone footage of the Bertha-dug Highway 99 tunnel WATCH
- Washington state’s new parental leave law could change workplace for moms — and dads
- Republicans going beyond hypocrisy with the national debt | Danny Westneat
This story has been corrected to show James Kauffman has not been charged in his wife’s death.