CHADRON, Neb. (AP) — Game officials say a mountain lion suspected of killing two goats in northwest Nebraska has been killed.
The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission says a landowner near Chadron found the two carcasses and contacted commission officials Tuesday. Commission biologists examined the carcasses and checked the immediate vicinity.
A commission news release says the condition of the carcasses and nearby signs of a mountain lion made it likely that a mountain lion had killed the goats. Acting under the commission’s Mountain Lion Response Plan, the landowner and Game and Parks officials then cooperated in hunting down and killing the animal believed responsible.
The commission says this is the third confirmed instance of livestock depredation in Nebraska by a mountain lion in modern times.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- FBI searched Trump's home in part to look for nuclear documents, sources say
- A child abductee's journey back
- Historians privately warn Biden that America's democracy is teetering
- A dog was missing. Cavers found her two months later 500 feet underground
- Man who tried to breach FBI office killed after standoff