MOUNT VERNON, S.D. (AP) — A Mount Vernon man accused of stealing $400,000 worth of grain from a Davison County farm family has pleaded no contest to a grand theft charge.
Authorities allege 47-year-old Merle Northrup sold loads of corn and soybeans under his own name while working for the farm family, keeping the proceeds. The thefts are alleged to have occurred over a span of five years.
The Daily Republic reports Northrup entered his plea Wednesday. He faces up to 15 years in prison and a $30,000 fine when he’s sentenced next month.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- Sen. Warren: DNA test shows I have Native American heritage
- Prince Harry, Meghan expecting child in spring
- Alec Baldwin urges 'overthrow' of Trump government via voting
- 'I shot a whole family of baboons': Idaho Fish and Game official faces fury after Africa trophy hunting boasts
Information from: The Daily Republic, http://www.mitchellrepublic.com