MOUNT VERNON, S.D. (AP) — A Mount Vernon man accused of stealing $400,000 worth of grain from a Davison County farm family has pleaded no contest to a grand theft charge.
Authorities allege 47-year-old Merle Northrup sold loads of corn and soybeans under his own name while working for the farm family, keeping the proceeds. The thefts are alleged to have occurred over a span of five years.
The Daily Republic reports Northrup entered his plea Wednesday. He faces up to 15 years in prison and a $30,000 fine when he’s sentenced next month.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Baltimore and other cities, a stolen NSA tool wreaks havoc
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- ‘It was like a zoo:’ Death on an unruly, overcrowded Everest
- A 102-year-old woman is being evicted so the landlords' daughter can move in
- Hawaii woman missing for 2 weeks rescued from Maui forest VIEW
Information from: The Daily Republic, http://www.mitchellrepublic.com