MOUNT VERNON, S.D. (AP) — A Mount Vernon man accused of stealing $400,000 worth of grain from a Davison County farm family has pleaded no contest to a grand theft charge.
Authorities allege 47-year-old Merle Northrup sold loads of corn and soybeans under his own name while working for the farm family, keeping the proceeds. The thefts are alleged to have occurred over a span of five years.
The Daily Republic reports Northrup entered his plea Wednesday. He faces up to 15 years in prison and a $30,000 fine when he’s sentenced next month.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Justices won't hear states' appeal over Planned Parenthood
- Dog that waited weeks in ruins of California wildfire is reunited with owner WATCH
- What happens when 25,000 Amazon workers flush toilets?
- Need a transplant? First you'll need to prove you can afford it
- Yukon trapper shoots attacking grizzly — then finds his family already mauled to death
Information from: The Daily Republic, http://www.mitchellrepublic.com