MOUNT VERNON, S.D. (AP) — A Mount Vernon man accused of stealing $400,000 worth of grain from a Davison County farm family has pleaded no contest to a grand theft charge.
Authorities allege 47-year-old Merle Northrup sold loads of corn and soybeans under his own name while working for the farm family, keeping the proceeds. The thefts are alleged to have occurred over a span of five years.
The Daily Republic reports Northrup entered his plea Wednesday. He faces up to 15 years in prison and a $30,000 fine when he’s sentenced next month.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- US: Alabama woman who joined Islamic State is not a citizen
Information from: The Daily Republic, http://www.mitchellrepublic.com