NEW LEBANON, N.Y. (AP) — State police say the driver of a motorhome has been killed in a crash during an upstate New York racetrack’s annual “Eve of Destruction” event.
Troopers say the accident occurred around 10 p.m. Tuesday at Lebanon Valley Speedway in the Columbia County town of New Lebanon, on the Massachusetts border, 25 miles southeast of Albany.
Police say Shawn Rivers of Castleton, New York, was racing a Winnebago motorhome around the track when another vehicle intentionally hit the RV, causing it to overturn and collapse.
Troopers say Rivers was taken to an Albany hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Wild horses adopted under a federal program are going to slaughter
- A famed folk singer won a presidential pardon after molesting a child. Did he prey on others?
- ‘So I raped you.’ Facebook message renews fight for justice
- The Gateses’ public split spotlights a secretive fortune, with a hush-hush Kirkland entity at the center
- He was banned from having guns after his Capitol riot arrest. Then he shot a mountain lion, feds say.
The track’s popular “Eve of Destruction” is a demolition derby-type event featuring a series of vehicle stunts. Troopers say Tuesday night’s fatal crash occurred during a race involving vehicles attempting to disable an RV.
The crash is under investigation.