PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A 17-year-old and his mother have been indicted in Rhode Island for the death of his mother’s boyfriend.
The man’s burning body was found last year in a wooded area of Massachusetts.
Xavier Vidot has been charged as an adult with one count of murder and using a firearm while committing a crime of violence. His mother, 36-year-old Melonie Perez, has been charged with compounding a felony, failing to report a death and misprision of a felony.
Police say Vidot told officers he shot 24-year-old Valdez Loiseau in Cranston after the man got into an altercation with the boy’s mother. Authorities say Perez told officers she helped her son move the body.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump says he'll give State of Union after shutdown ends VIEW
- AP Exclusive: Adoptee deported by US sues S. Korea, agency
- The man who stood behind Trump VIEW
- How anonymous tweets helped ignite a national controversy over MAGA hat teens
- Nathan Phillips, Native American in standoff with teens, faces scrutiny of his military past
Police found Loiseau’s burned body in Attleboro, Massachusetts in July 2017.