PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A 17-year-old and his mother have been indicted in Rhode Island for the death of his mother’s boyfriend.
The man’s burning body was found last year in a wooded area of Massachusetts.
Xavier Vidot has been charged as an adult with one count of murder and using a firearm while committing a crime of violence. His mother, 36-year-old Melonie Perez, has been charged with compounding a felony, failing to report a death and misprision of a felony.
Police say Vidot told officers he shot 24-year-old Valdez Loiseau in Cranston after the man got into an altercation with the boy’s mother. Authorities say Perez told officers she helped her son move the body.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Extra pilot saved doomed Lion Air jetliner on next-to-last flight
- Confusion, then prayer, in cockpit of doomed Lion Air jet
- Italy: Bus driver abducts 51 children, sets vehicle on fire
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- Wealthy parents in admissions scandal under intense pressure to make deals. Here's why
Police found Loiseau’s burned body in Attleboro, Massachusetts in July 2017.