HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — The mother of a 1-year-old Pennsylvania boy who drowned when she left him and his toddler sister alone in a bathtub has been sentenced to two to six years in prison.
Authorities say 26-year-old Kathryn Jacoby acknowledged having left the children unattended while she was on the phone in August 2016, and tests indicated that she had been drinking and using marijuana.
Jacoby was sentenced last week in Dauphin County on earlier involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment pleas.
PennLive.com reported that she sobbed as she told the judge she couldn’t describe the pain and regret she feels.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Do rapid COVID tests still work?
- When she named her breakfast cafe Woke, a conservative backlash followed
- A bear in Colorado took 400 selfies. Fashion pros say they're a star
- George Santos scandal consumes Congress, chafes lawmakers on both sides of aisle
- Priscilla Presley files petition questioning validity of Lisa Marie Presley’s will
The judge called her actions “grossly negligent.” Defense attorney Shawn Stottlemyer asked that she be allowed to be a mother to her surviving child.