JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A mother was shot to death and her adult daughter was wounded during a burglary of their home in Mississippi.
The break-in happened before dawn Monday in Jackson, and police Sgt. Roderick Holmes says a suspect was not immediately identified.
Holmes says 57-year-old Evvie Williams was shot during the break-in and ran to a neighbor’s house, where she died.
Her 24-year-old daughter, Jaalyn Williams, was shot in the face. She was hospitalized in critical condition.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Archie Battersbee, gravely ill 12-year-old, dies after removal of life support
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Key Washington primary 2022 election results
Holmes says the door of their home had been forced open. An investigation continues.