WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) — A mother and baby killed when a tree smashed into their house are among four deaths caused by Hurricane Florence.
The monster storm felled trees all around Wilmington, causing many more close calls and damaging homes and cars.
Authorities say the woman and her 8-month-old child died when the tree smashed into their one-story house on a residential street east of downtown Wilmington around 7 a.m. The father was hospitalized with injuries.
Elsewhere in North Carolina, one person was killed while plugging in a generator, and a man was knocked to the ground while outside and died.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- Sen. Warren: DNA test shows I have Native American heritage
- Alec Baldwin urges 'overthrow' of Trump government via voting
- Prince Harry, Meghan expecting child in spring
- 'I shot a whole family of baboons': Idaho Fish and Game official faces fury after Africa trophy hunting boasts