JOLIET, Ill. (AP) — A Chicago-area woman has been charged with murder in the death of her 8-month-old daughter whose skull was fractured in two places.
The (Crystal Lake) Northwest Herald reports that 24-year-old Shanquilla Garvey was charged Wednesday.
Deputy Police Chief Al Roechner said last week that Garvey was staying at a Joliet motel when officers responded to a report of a baby that wasn’t breathing.
Cherish Freeman was rushed to a hospital. She died Sunday night after being taken off life-support.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion
- Kavanaugh gave private assurances. Collins says he ‘misled’ her
- The man most responsible for ending Roe worries that it could hurt his party
- Thousands of Seattle protesters gather downtown after Supreme Court reverses Roe v. Wade
- Biden signs landmark gun measure, says 'lives will be saved'
Assistant State’s Attorney Chris Messina said the child also had bleeding on her brain, a cut liver and fractured clavicle.
Garvey has been assigned a public defender. She is scheduled to return to court on Jan. 12.
Information from: The Northwest Herald, http://www.nwherald.com