SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Utah man from an upstart group with beliefs in polygamy and doomsday has been charged with sodomy on a child and other counts.
Prosecutors filed the charges Wednesday against 34-year-old Samuel Shaffer, one of two men accused of sexually abusing girls they considered wives. He was also charged with child lewdness and obstruction of justice.
Authorities say he and 33-year-old John Coltharp believed themselves married to two girls each, ages 4 through 8. Prosecutors say the children were related to the two men.
Police say the men formed a group called the Knights of the Crystal Blade and created a remote, makeshift compound with shipping containers.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- House condemns Trump 'racist' tweets in extraordinary rebuke VIEW
- Diver stumbles upon a giant jellyfish as big as she is: Watch the video
- Here are the Republicans who broke with their party and other takeaways from the vote on Trump’s language
- Notre-Dame came far closer to collapsing than anybody knew VIEW
- Prosecutors want Mexican megachurch leader held without bail VIEW
Police found girls hidden in plastic water barrels during a December raid.
Coltharp has also been charged with child sodomy.
Shaffer’s attorney didn’t immediately a return message seeking comment.