SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Utah man from an upstart group with beliefs in polygamy and doomsday has been charged with sodomy on a child and other counts.
Prosecutors filed the charges Wednesday against 34-year-old Samuel Shaffer, one of two men accused of sexually abusing girls they considered wives. He was also charged with child lewdness and obstruction of justice.
Authorities say he and 33-year-old John Coltharp believed themselves married to two girls each, ages 4 through 8. Prosecutors say the children were related to the two men.
Police say the men formed a group called the Knights of the Crystal Blade and created a remote, makeshift compound with shipping containers.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- White House attempts to clarify Trump's response to whether Russia is still targeting US elections
- Trump says Air Force One to get red, white and blue makeover
- Tale of sex, deception emerges about suspected Russian agent
- Oregon wheat farmers try to stop fire that's consuming crops VIEW
- In India, summer heat could soon be unbearable — literally
Police found girls hidden in plastic water barrels during a December raid.
Coltharp has also been charged with child sodomy.
Shaffer’s attorney didn’t immediately a return message seeking comment.