GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) — Deputies in South Carolina have increased patrols after getting new reports of people dressed as clowns trying to lure children into the woods.
News outlets report that Greenville County sheriff’s deputies were called to an apartment complex about 8:20 p.m. Monday that is about 20 minutes from a complex where people reporting seeing clowns last week.
Deputies responding to the report last week said they found no evidence of anyone in the woods behind Fleetwood Manor Apartments.
A family who called Monday night from Emerald Commons apartments said a child saw a man wearing a clown mask in woods near the complex.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Why the world's most vaccinated country is seeing an unprecedented spike in coronavirus cases
- Can you have alcohol after the COVID vaccine?
- After leading a 153-person hike in the Grand Canyon, a Washington health-care exec faces federal charges
- 4 ex-cops indicted on US civil rights charges in Floyd death
- Mom who gave birth on flight didn't know she was pregnant
Deputies said there was a third report of someone dressed as a clown about 10 p.m. at Shemwood Apartments.
A 12-year-old told deputies that two clowns were in the backyard area.