CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — Three men have been charged in a drive-by shooting that killed a 1-year-old girl on Christmas Day as she played outside with her new toys.
In the latest arrests, Ramone Jamarr Alston, 22, and Pierre Je Bron Moore, 23, were each charged Monday with first-degree murder, according to a news release from the Chapel Hill Police Department.
Moore and Alston appeared in court Tuesday and were ordered held without bail.
Police had previously arrested 22-year-old Shaquille Oneill Davis on charges including attempted first-degree murder. Authorities have said his charges could be upgraded as a result of the girl’s death.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's what we know about the 'delta-plus' variant, already detected in U.S. and elsewhere
- Scientists expected thawing wetlands in Siberia's permafrost. What they found is 'much more dangerous.'
- Passenger arrives taped to his seat after assault of 3 flight attendants
- Mass. COVID-19 outbreak mostly infected the vaccinated, CDC finds; few needed hospitalization
- Officer dead, suspect killed in violence outside Pentagon
Davis apologized in a video taken by television station WTVD after his arrest on Sunday.
“I apologize for what happened,” he said. “Y’all know I didn’t do anything to your daughter. I never would do such a thing like that.”
Authorities said that 1-year-old Maleah Williams died Monday at a hospital after she was critically wounded Friday when shots were fired from a vehicle.
A Gofundme page set up by the girl’s family says she was playing with other children outside an apartment building when she was hit in the head by gunfire. The family says a car drove up and someone opened fire, sending panicked parents running to grab their children. The page had raised nearly $10,000 by Tuesday.
James E. Williams, the chief public defender for Orange County, didn’t immediately respond to emails asking whether he knew who was representing the three men.
This story has corrected Alston’s last name.