MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Vermont’s capital city has raised an Olympic flag for the Pyeongchang (PYUHNG’-chahng) Winter Olympics in honor of a local athlete competing for Team USA in ice hockey.
Amanda Pelkey played ice hockey for the University of Vermont and will now play for Team USA. WCAX-TV reports a Tuesday City Hall celebration also affirmed Tuesday, February 11 as “Amanda Pelkey Day” in Montpelier.
City Manager William Fraiser says the Olympic flag raised Tuesday will fly until the closing ceremony at the end of the month.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Microsoft says it has found another Russian operation targeting prominent think tanks
Information from: WCAX-TV, http://www.wcax.com