MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Vermont’s capital city has raised an Olympic flag for the Pyeongchang (PYUHNG’-chahng) Winter Olympics in honor of a local athlete competing for Team USA in ice hockey.
Amanda Pelkey played ice hockey for the University of Vermont and will now play for Team USA. WCAX-TV reports a Tuesday City Hall celebration also affirmed Tuesday, February 11 as “Amanda Pelkey Day” in Montpelier.
City Manager William Fraiser says the Olympic flag raised Tuesday will fly until the closing ceremony at the end of the month.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Inmate's last words: 'Is it supposed to feel like that?'
- In Mississippi, GOP concern rises over U.S. Senate runoff
- CIA concludes Saudi crown prince ordered Khashoggi's assassination
- George Conway, husband of Trump aide, would rather 'move to Australia' than vote for president again
Information from: WCAX-TV, http://www.wcax.com