ROCKVILLE, Md. (AP) — The Montgomery County Council is scheduled to hold a hearing on whether to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour over a period of years.
The hearing is being held in Rockville on Tuesday night.
The county raised the minimum wage in 2013 by phasing it in over several years. The rate went to $8.40 an hour in October 2014. It has incrementally risen to $11.50 an hour, where it is currently set.
Montgomery County is Maryland’s largest jurisdiction with more than 1 million residents.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash