PODGORICA, Montenegro (AP) — Montenegro’s state TV says the Balkan country’s last known ‘virgina,’ or sworn virgin who lived her life in a role of a man, has died in her mid-80s.
Stana Cerovic had promised her father she would spend her life unmarried and as a man to preserve the family name and serve as head of family after her two brothers died young without children.
She dressed in man’s clothes and did a man’s daily jobs — including cutting wood — while living on her own in a village in rugged northern Montenegro. Cerovic also had four sisters.
The tradition of sworn virgins existed for centuries in highly patriarchal Montenegro, and some other parts of the Balkans.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Morning coffee results in $1,000 fine, expulsion from Venice
- You downloaded FaceApp. Here's what you've just done to your privacy.
- An American woman and her boyfriend were exploring Canada. They were found dead on a highway.
- Louisiana police officer on Facebook says Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez ‘needs a round’
- A peculiarly Dutch summer rite: Children abandoned in the night woods VIEW
Montenegrin TV said Tuesday that Cerovic died late Monday in a nursing home.