PODGORICA, Montenegro (AP) — Montenegro’s state TV says the Balkan country’s last known ‘virgina,’ or sworn virgin who lived her life in a role of a man, has died in her mid-80s.
Stana Cerovic had promised her father she would spend her life unmarried and as a man to preserve the family name and serve as head of family after her two brothers died young without children.
She dressed in man’s clothes and did a man’s daily jobs — including cutting wood — while living on her own in a village in rugged northern Montenegro. Cerovic also had four sisters.
The tradition of sworn virgins existed for centuries in highly patriarchal Montenegro, and some other parts of the Balkans.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- India orders 'staggering' eviction of 1 million indigenous people
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- Man's shooting-range wedding proposal was right on target
Montenegrin TV said Tuesday that Cerovic died late Monday in a nursing home.