PODGORICA, Montenegro (AP) — Montenegro’s state TV says the Balkan country’s last known ‘virgina,’ or sworn virgin who lived her life in a role of a man, has died in her mid-80s.
Stana Cerovic had promised her father she would spend her life unmarried and as a man to preserve the family name and serve as head of family after her two brothers died young without children.
She dressed in man’s clothes and did a man’s daily jobs — including cutting wood — while living on her own in a village in rugged northern Montenegro. Cerovic also had four sisters.
The tradition of sworn virgins existed for centuries in highly patriarchal Montenegro, and some other parts of the Balkans.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Jamie Oliver's UK restaurant chain collapses into insolvency
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- Ex-partner of deceased skater Coughlin says she was abused
- Should Donald Trump be impeached? Americans organize to read Mueller report, reach their own conclusions
Montenegrin TV said Tuesday that Cerovic died late Monday in a nursing home.