PRATT, Kan. (AP) — A hospital official says a mother whose four children were killed in a southern Kansas house fire is in critical condition.
The Wichita Eagle reports that Cheree Eggleston suffered burns and was flown Thursday morning from the town of Pratt to St. Francis Hospital in Wichita. Her children, the youngest a baby, died after being trapped in the home’s basement. Besides the mother, three other adults in the home survived.
Pratt police Detective Jeff Ward says the cause of the fire is unknown. A state fire marshal is on scene investigating.
Pratt is about 80 miles (128.74 kilometers) west of Wichita.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
Information from: The Wichita (Kan.) Eagle, http://www.kansas.com