DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — An Iowa mother who left her four children home alone to travel to Europe has been given two years’ probation.
The Des Moines Register reports Erin Macke was sentenced Thursday in Polk County District Court. She could have faced up to eight years in prison.
The 31-year-old Macke of Johnston entered Alford pleas in February to four counts of child endangerment. In an Alford plea, a person doesn’t admit guilt but acknowledges there is enough evidence for a likely conviction.
Police were called to her home in September by the children’s father, who said the kids — two 12-year-olds, a 7-year-old and a 6-year-old — had been left alone the day before. Police say Macke failed to make child care arrangements before leaving Sept. 20 for a 10-day vacation in Germany.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The coming California megastorm
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
Information from: The Des Moines Register, http://www.desmoinesregister.com