JOHNSTON, Iowa (AP) — A Johnston mother who was sentenced to two years’ probation for leaving her children home alone to travel to Europe is appealing.
The Des Moines Register reports that 31-year-old Erin Lee Macke filed an appeal on May 14. She could have faced eight years in prison after pleading to four counts of child endangerment.
Police were called to Macke’s home in September and found her kids — two 12-year-olds, a 7-year-old and a 6-year-old — had been left alone the day before. Police say Macke failed to make proper child care arrangements before leaving Sept. 20 for a 10-day vacation in Germany.
Last month, the father of Macke’s two youngest children was awarded custody of them. A court case over custody of Macke’s other children is pending.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- A 102-year-old woman is being evicted so the landlords' daughter can move in
- Parents forget newborn baby in Hamburg taxi
- Officials fighting U.S. measles outbreaks threaten to use rare air-travel ban
- Anna the anaconda got pregnant all by herself — by 'virgin birth'
Information from: The Des Moines Register, http://www.desmoinesregister.com