TRACY, Calif. (AP) — San Joaquin County sheriff’s officials are investigating whether a Molotov cocktail attack at a mosque in Tracy was a hate crime.
Sheriff’s officials say the device went off at the Tracy Islamic Center Friday night or early Saturday. It caused about $1,000 of damage.
Lt. Mike Van Grouw tells the Sacramento Bee (http://bit.ly/1R2I3vA) deputies were unable to locate surveillance video and have not come up with a description of the suspect. He said without any suspects, the intent of the attack is unknown.
This incident comes as federal officials in Houston say a fire at a mosque in the city is suspicious. The fire was reported Friday afternoon at the Islamic Society of Greater Houston. The two-alarm blaze caused major damage to the building, but no one was injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- A giant red hamster wheel washed up on a Florida beach. And a man was inside
- Trans model makes Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover history: 'If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else'
- Former US Sen. Barbara Boxer assaulted, robbed in California
- Man pleads guilty to 4 Asian spa killings, sentenced to life
Information from: The Sacramento Bee, http://www.sacbee.com