TRACY, Calif. (AP) — San Joaquin County sheriff’s officials are investigating whether a Molotov cocktail attack at a mosque in Tracy was a hate crime.
Sheriff’s officials say the device went off at the Tracy Islamic Center Friday night or early Saturday. It caused about $1,000 of damage.
Lt. Mike Van Grouw tells the Sacramento Bee (http://bit.ly/1R2I3vA) deputies were unable to locate surveillance video and have not come up with a description of the suspect. He said without any suspects, the intent of the attack is unknown.
This incident comes as federal officials in Houston say a fire at a mosque in the city is suspicious. The fire was reported Friday afternoon at the Islamic Society of Greater Houston. The two-alarm blaze caused major damage to the building, but no one was injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- At Pentagon, fears grow that Trump will pull military into election unrest
- Trump expected to announce conservative Barrett for court VIEW
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Trump taps 'eminently qualified' Barrett for Supreme Court WATCH
- ‘I feel sorry for Americans’: A baffled world watches the U.S. VIEW
Information from: The Sacramento Bee, http://www.sacbee.com