MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico City police have arrested eight people in connection with the beating death of a man accused of trying to abduct children. It’s the fifth such vigilante killing in the past month in the country.
The Mexico City public safety agency says the 24-year-old man was beaten inside a church in the western borough of Cuajimalpa. When police responded Monday night, the mob turned against them.
Police said Tuesday that those arrested were among the residents who tried to prevent the arrival and departure of an ambulance and officers.
Police did not immediately say if there was any truth to the allegation that the man had tried to abduct a child, but similar rumors led to four mob killings last month in separate incidents in Puebla and Hidalgo states.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hearing sets up dramatic showdown between Kavanaugh, accuser WATCH
- Trump Jr. mocks sexual assault claim against Kavanaugh
- Noah's Ark except it's a school bus: Truck driver rescues 64 dogs and cats from floods of Hurricane Florence
- Soon-Yi Previn defends husband Woody Allen, attacks mother
- Labrador dog named Lucy saves Oregon man from sex conviction