MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico City police have arrested eight people in connection with the beating death of a man accused of trying to abduct children. It’s the fifth such vigilante killing in the past month in the country.
The Mexico City public safety agency says the 24-year-old man was beaten inside a church in the western borough of Cuajimalpa. When police responded Monday night, the mob turned against them.
Police said Tuesday that those arrested were among the residents who tried to prevent the arrival and departure of an ambulance and officers.
Police did not immediately say if there was any truth to the allegation that the man had tried to abduct a child, but similar rumors led to four mob killings last month in separate incidents in Puebla and Hidalgo states.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump moves to effectively end asylum at southern border
- Leave the US, Trump tells liberal congresswomen of color
- Trump digs in on racist tweets: 'Many people agree with me' VIEW
- Watch Coast Guardsman leap onto moving submarine that was carrying more than 17,000 pounds of cocaine in Pacific
- Diver stumbles upon a giant jellyfish as big as she is: Watch the video