FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) — A judge has declared a mistrial in a case involving a 22-year-old northern Colorado college student who was shown on video being thrown face-first to the sidewalk by a police officer last year.
The Fort Collins Coloradoan reports Judge Joshua Lehman dismissed jurors Tuesday, citing new evidence that the defense team had discovered and which prosecutors don’t have enough time to review. A new trial will be set for April or May.
Attorneys on both sides declined to comment about the newly discovered evidence.
Michaella Surat was arrested in Fort Collins in April and charged with resisting arrest and obstructing a peace officer.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Trump backs down, says he misspoke on Russia meddling WATCH
- Trump says he accepts US intelligence on Russian interference in election but denies collusion
- White House attempts to clarify Trump's response to whether Russia is still targeting US elections
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
Police say the Colorado State University student hit an officer multiple times and grabbed him by the throat after her boyfriend was detained outside a bar. An internal investigation cleared the officer of wrongdoing.
Information from: Fort Collins Coloradoan, http://www.coloradoan.com