FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) — A judge has declared a mistrial in a case involving a 22-year-old northern Colorado college student who was shown on video being thrown face-first to the sidewalk by a police officer last year.
The Fort Collins Coloradoan reports Judge Joshua Lehman dismissed jurors Tuesday, citing new evidence that the defense team had discovered and which prosecutors don’t have enough time to review. A new trial will be set for April or May.
Attorneys on both sides declined to comment about the newly discovered evidence.
Michaella Surat was arrested in Fort Collins in April and charged with resisting arrest and obstructing a peace officer.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Owner of 3D-printed gun company accused of sex with minor WATCH
- Trump says 'hard to imagine' Kavanaugh guilty of allegation WATCH
- Who is Christine Blasey Ford, the accuser of court nominee Kavanaugh?
- A surgeon, who was a 'Bachelor of the Year' and reality TV-show date, is accused of drugging, raping women
- Nearly half of cellphone calls will be scams by 2019, report says
Police say the Colorado State University student hit an officer multiple times and grabbed him by the throat after her boyfriend was detained outside a bar. An internal investigation cleared the officer of wrongdoing.
Information from: Fort Collins Coloradoan, http://www.coloradoan.com