NEVADA, Mo. (AP) — A woman has been charged with trying to smuggle drugs to an inmate at a southwest Missouri jail inside a Bible.
The Kansas City Star reports that Ashley Despain, of Nevada, Missouri, was charged this week with delivery or possession of a controlled substance in a jail. No attorney is listed for Despain in online court records. Bond is set at $5,000.
Vernon County Sheriff Jason Mosher says putting drugs inside a Bible is the “wrong kind of help.” Typically authorities don’t allow people to deliver items to inmates, but exceptions are made for books and the Bible.
Despain was arrested in the parking lot after a jailer found a small baggie of marijuana wedged between the binding and the Bible’s pages. A passenger was arrested on an outstanding warrant.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- George Santos is accused of sexual harassment in his Capitol office
- In 1970, Mississippi banned 'Sesame Street' for showing Black and white kids playing
- A patient declared dead is found in a body bag gasping for air
- US downs Chinese balloon, drawing a threat from China
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Information from: The Kansas City Star, http://www.kcstar.com