ST. JOSEPH, Mo. (AP) — Authorities say a Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper chasing two robbery suspects on foot returned fire and shot one of them.
The Missouri Highway Patrol said in a news release Monday that it was alerted at 10:46 a.m. Monday of a theft in progress at a home in Ridgeway, Missouri. The Harrison County Sheriff’s Department provided a vehicle description and advised the suspect vehicle was southbound on Interstate 35.
A trooper gave chase to a vehicle matching the description before it crashed into a ditch.
A preliminary investigation has found the male driver and a female occupant fled, with the trooper pursuing on foot. The male suspect shot at the trooper, who returned fire. Both suspects were taken into custody.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- At Costco food-sample line, gunfire, death and unanswered questions
- Citing ‘painful’ family situation, Shanahan withdraws as Pentagon nominee
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump's boasts, blasts and promises at rally
- Scientists record singing by rare right whale for first time WATCH
- Hicks rebuffs questions on Trump White House in interview VIEW
The male suspect was transported to a Kansas City hospital.