JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — A Springfield man serving life in prison for killing his 14-year-old stepson has died in prison.
State corrections officials say 70-year-old William Jones died Monday. Prison officials did not provide more details but said they do not suspect foul play.
The Springfield News-Leader reports Jones was convicted of first-degree murder in the shooting death of Trevor Jones in August 2012.
Prosecutors and witnesses said Trevor Jones’ mother, Falecha Jones, found him dead on the floor and her husband, William, nearby with a gun.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
Investigators said officers had been called to the family home twice the night before Trevor’s death because of problems between William Jones and his stepson.
Information from: Springfield News-Leader, http://www.news-leader.com