GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi sheriff says a suspect in a violent crime has been killed in a shootout with narcotics officers.
Harrison County Sheriff Troy Peterson said 49-year-old Ernie Lizana Jr. fired gunshots at the officers early Monday as they arrived at a vacant home in Gulfport where the suspect was hiding. Peterson says the officers returned fire and shot Lizana several times, killing him.
News outlets report Lizana was wanted on aggravated assault charges after a woman was found shot in the throat Saturday. Police said the woman, whose name was not released, was hospitalized in New Orleans in serious condition.
Peterson said the investigation into Lizana’s death has been turned over to the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Fuller picture emerges of viral video encounter between Native American and Catholic students
- Senate Republicans all but surrender to Trump on wall, despite shutdown's toll
- The man who stood behind Trump VIEW
- Kamala Harris opens presidential bid
- 2-for-1: Total lunar eclipse comes with supermoon bonus VIEW