GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi sheriff says a suspect in a violent crime has been killed in a shootout with narcotics officers.
Harrison County Sheriff Troy Peterson said 49-year-old Ernie Lizana Jr. fired gunshots at the officers early Monday as they arrived at a vacant home in Gulfport where the suspect was hiding. Peterson says the officers returned fire and shot Lizana several times, killing him.
News outlets report Lizana was wanted on aggravated assault charges after a woman was found shot in the throat Saturday. Police said the woman, whose name was not released, was hospitalized in New Orleans in serious condition.
Peterson said the investigation into Lizana’s death has been turned over to the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 29 VIEW
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- Death toll rises in California wildfire, matching deadliest VIEW
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news