DESTIN, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a body pulled from the water of the Florida Panhandle was that of a Mississippi man who apparently drowned.
The Okaloosa Sheriff’s Office identified the victim Sunday as 43-year-old Roscoe Brooks of Shannon, Mississippi.
A witness said Brooks appeared to be in trouble when spotted with a boogie board in the Gulf of Mexico on Saturday.
A lifeguard and a beach attendant attempt to rescue Brooks, but he was unconscious when they reached him.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- Who is Robert Smith, the man paying off Morehouse graduates’ loans?
- Jamie Oliver's UK restaurant chain collapses into insolvency
- What is 'milkshaking?' Ask the Brits hurling drinks at right-wing candidates
The attempted CPR when they pulled Brooks ashore. He was pronounced dead at a hospital emergency room.