DESTIN, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a body pulled from the water of the Florida Panhandle was that of a Mississippi man who apparently drowned.
The Okaloosa Sheriff’s Office identified the victim Sunday as 43-year-old Roscoe Brooks of Shannon, Mississippi.
A witness said Brooks appeared to be in trouble when spotted with a boogie board in the Gulf of Mexico on Saturday.
A lifeguard and a beach attendant attempt to rescue Brooks, but he was unconscious when they reached him.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
The attempted CPR when they pulled Brooks ashore. He was pronounced dead at a hospital emergency room.