PINKHAM’S GRANT, N.H. — New Hampshire Fish and Game officials are calling a search for a Massachusetts hiker a waste of time, money and resources after he was found at a luxury hotel.
Officials say the 70-year-old had a medical condition that added to the sense of urgency when he was reported missing by his wife early Monday.
Rescue teams were brought up to the top of Mount Washington via a snowcat and a National Guard helicopter was used to look for him. Hours later, the man contacted his wife from the Mount Washington Hotel.
Officials say he told them that he’d sent his wife a message informing her of his plans, but she did not receive it. It is unclear whether he will be charged for the cost of the rescue.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A toddler lost in the woods is found asleep using family dog as a pillow
- What to know about the fall equinox
- Jimmy Carter’s final chapter continues with peanut butter ice cream and an upcoming 99th birthday
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Mother gets 78-year prison term for killing daughters, 15 and 5, in Virginia