BREVARD, N.C. (AP) — Authorities are concerned that a report of a missing man may be related to the hunt for an armed suspect believed to be in a national forest in North Carolina.
The Henderson County Sheriff’s Office tells local media outlets that 68-year-old Thomas A. Bryan of Mills River was reported missing Wednesday after failing to pick up a family member from a doctor’s appointment.
Officers from multiple law enforcement agencies have been trying to find 38-year-old Phillip Michael Stroupe II of Weaverville since Saturday. The Transylvania County Sheriff’s Department says he’s a suspect in a break-in and is believed to be armed with a handgun.
Officials have been telling visitors to stay away from the Pisgah National Forest as the search continues.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- To catch a snake: Largest python found in Everglades signals a threat
- Kavanaugh gave private assurances. Collins says he ‘misled’ her
- GOP lawmaker calls Roe ruling 'victory for white life' as Trump rally cheers
- 'Mitt Romney Republican' is now a potent GOP primary attack
- Officer suspended for off-duty actions at abortion protest