CHASKA, Minn. (AP) — Prosecutors have charged a Minneapolis man with murder in the overdose death of a 19-year-old woman in Carver County.
Twenty-nine-year-old Deon Lee Hillard is charged with third-degree murder in the death of Olivia Rose Zorbas of Watertown.
According to the criminal complaint, Zorbas’ family found her dead in her bedroom of an apparent overdose last Friday. Deputies obtained a search warrant and found an uncapped syringe, a makeshift tourniquet and a white powder which tested positive for fentanyl, a powerful painkiller.
Investigators searched Zorbas’ phone and Facebook accounts and learned she had arranged to buy drugs from Hillard the day before. Hillard told deputies he sold what he believed to be heroin to Zorbas.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court allows Jan. 6 committee to get Trump documents
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
- Carhartt said vaccination remains mandatory for employees. A conservative backlash ensued
- Dentist killed his wife on an African hunting trip, U.S. says
- A Nike executive seeks a family’s forgiveness for a 1965 murder
Hillard remains jailed with unconditional bail set at $500,000. He’s due back in court April 11.