KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) — A western Michigan woman has been sentenced to at least 23 years in prison for the death of her 4-year-old daughter, who was found wrapped in blankets and duct tape.
A judge ordered Monday that 34-year-old Kelly Ballinger of Kalamazoo serve a sentence of between 23 years, nine months and 50 years. Jurors last month convicted Ballinger of first-degree child abuse and involuntary manslaughter in the asphyxiation death of Desaray Thompson.
A separate jury found Ballinger’s boyfriend Matthew Longenecker guilty of first-degree murder and first-degree child abuse.
Authorities say the couple restrained Desaray with blankets and duct tape the night she died, including a blanket placed over her face. An autopsy found evidence of past abuse, such as bruising, cuts and likely a skull fracture.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- An old medicine grows new hair for pennies a day, doctors say
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Colorado homeowner emptied pistol to kill bear that broke in
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Longenecker is awaiting sentencing.