BRIGHTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Officials say a bridge over an interstate in southeastern Michigan will be rebuilt after being struck by a truck hauling construction equipment.
The truck hit a sign on the bridge over eastbound Interstate 96 on Wednesday in Livingston County’s Brighton Township and bent several beams underneath the overpass. No injuries were reported, but the crash snarled traffic during the evening commute.
Video aired by WXYZ-TV shows the truck’s cargo hitting the bridge, located about 35 miles (56 kilometers) northwest of Detroit.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area. The Michigan Department of Transportation says the damaged portion of the bridge will be demolished and replaced.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- ‘Victoria’s Secret Karen’ video: Lawsuits show what viewers didn’t see
- Wisconsin woman gets life without parole for killing and dismembering ex-boyfriend
- Former Speaker Paul Ryan says Republicans will lose if Donald Trump is nominee
- 'Hard to know' if Bruce Willis is aware of dementia condition, wife says
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events