MIAMI (AP) — Authorities say a police officer fatally shot a man after he heard a woman screaming for help in Miami.
Miami police spokeswoman Kenia Fallat said in a news release that the officer fired his weapon after seeing a knife-wielding man and the bloodied woman while he was on patrol around 1:45 a.m. Thursday.
The man died at the scene.
The news release says the woman was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where she was in critical condition Thursday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Jan. 6 panel calls surprise hearing to present new evidence
- GOP lawmaker calls Roe ruling 'victory for white life' as Trump rally cheers
- To catch a snake: Largest python found in Everglades signals a threat
- Kavanaugh gave private assurances. Collins says he ‘misled’ her
- 'Mitt Romney Republican' is now a potent GOP primary attack
Authorities haven’t disclosed the relationship between the man and woman.
Miami Fraternal Order of Police President Javier Ortiz called the officer a hero, saying he saved the life of an innocent bystander.
The names and race of those involved hasn’t been released. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating.