MIAMI (AP) — Authorities say a police officer fatally shot a man after he heard a woman screaming for help in Miami.
Miami police spokeswoman Kenia Fallat said in a news release that the officer fired his weapon after seeing a knife-wielding man and the bloodied woman while he was on patrol around 1:45 a.m. Thursday.
The man died at the scene.
The news release says the woman was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where she was in critical condition Thursday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- What a 'super' El Niño could mean for winter weather in the U.S.
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, trailblazer and champion of liberal priorities, dies at age 90
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Plane that crashed, killing Rep. Peltola's husband, had over 500 pounds of meat and antlers on board
- Proud Boy who disappeared ahead of his Jan. 6 sentencing was found unconscious by agents at his home
Authorities haven’t disclosed the relationship between the man and woman.
Miami Fraternal Order of Police President Javier Ortiz called the officer a hero, saying he saved the life of an innocent bystander.
The names and race of those involved hasn’t been released. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating.