MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s president-elect has turned down an invitation to a Houston Astros game from general manager Jeff Luhnow, saying he has prior commitments.
In a tweet Wednesday, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said: “Baseball is one of my great passions.”
Luhnow responded with “Pretty cool that Mexico’s President elect is a huge baseball fan! We will get him to an Astros game at some point!”
Luhnow made the invitation Wednesday, in Spanish. Lopez Obrador replied, “I thank you for the invitation, and though I would like to attend, I have commitments to attend to in my country.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A Chicago man died after the family took him off life support. Then he walked through the door.
- U.S. buries digital land mines to menace Russia’s power grid
- Severed head of prehistoric wolf found in Siberia, perfectly preserved
- As he plans July Fourth gala, Trump still owes $7 million in inauguration costs to D.C.
- Court's conservatives overturn precedent; liberals ask 'which cases the court will overrule next'
Lopez Obrador has posted videos of himself batting and has pledged to promote the sport in Mexico.
In recent weeks, he has been touring Mexico meeting with governors and speaking.