INDEPENDENCE, Iowa (AP) — A judge has ordered psychiatric tests for a woman accused of killing her former husband in northeast Iowa’s Buchanan County.
On Tuesday the judge delayed the trial set to begin next week and said Hillary Hunziker must undergo evaluation to determine whether she is competent to aid in her defense. She’s pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the Nov. 6 slaying of Jason Hunziker at his home northwest of Independence.
Her attorney had requested that the 32-year-old be tested.
A criminal complaint says a child called 911 early on Nov. 6 and said, “My mom just stabbed my dad.” That was followed by a call from Jason Hunziker, who said his former wife had stabbed him. The complaint says deputies later found Jason Hunziker dead in the home.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood